Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 16: Wiffle

At 8:45 this morning the 2010 Wiffle Ball season began! I can try to explain to you what this means but I don't think that you can ever truly understand unless you have played it. For those of you that don't know, wiffle ball is baseball with plastic bats and balls. A very simple description for an amazingly complex game! About two years ago a buddy of mine invited me to go play some park wiffle ball with some of his friends. I happily agreed thinking that it would be a fun Saturday morning. That one Saturday turned into five and then another five again. The next thing I know I am three seasons deep of plastic action!

It is pretty well akin to "The Sandlot" when we get together. A group of about ten guys between 25 and 40 acting like they are 12 years old at a time when most people in their right mind are still in a comfortable bed. No matter how late we are out the night before we respect "the wiffle" enough to be bright eyed and at the park ready to connect some plastic.

I am pretty sure that just about all of us have played it at one time or another growing up. We try and keep it fun, but normally our self divided allegiances get the better of us and some serious competition sets in. Today was no different! I hit 4 home runs and brought about 8 runs in throughout our 3 game set.  After all that I was the only one to not win a game the whole day. It was ironic though because I had the best stats. The season is young though and I have faith after todays exhibition. The off season training I have done has paid off (no, I didn't train in the off season).

I guess the thing to take away from this is I feel very fortunate to have found something in my life that is simple, yet gives me a lot of joy. It has brought me together with some great people, some of whom I would consider friends that will be in my life for years to come.

So take time to appreciate the little things in your life because often times that is where we get the most joy...


Play Ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment