Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 51: 40 Years


Over the past few months I have been sharing my fears of turning 30 with a friend of mine whos shares the same fears about turning 40. Tonight is his big night! He is leaving his 30's in style at an enormous party being thrown for him at the W hotel in Hollywood. It is interesting to explore why humans put such weight on aging into a new decade of life. There are so many social stigmas placed on age that it becomes very harrowing as we approach a turn into a new decade of life. There are constant questions that arise in your mind as you contemplate your existence and try to compare yourself to an outdated standard that, for some reason, we still attribute to our age. For example, it has been a wide assumption for years that people are supposed to be married with kids before they are thirty. I know two people that fall into this category in my life.

The social climate has changed and thereby so should the stigmas! 40 is no longer old! "Over the hill" is a passe term! Long live "the 30's are the new 20's!" I refuse to comply to social stigmas and I invite you to create your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment