Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 44: Mardi Gras

A buddy of mine is having a Mardi Gras party tonight, or I should say his wife is. I got a frantic phone call yesterday explaining that she had been planning it but "forgot" to mention it to him so that he could invite his friends. If I didn't know that his wife was the sweetest person on earth I would have to say that the whole thing stunk as bad as the French Quarter. It seems rather convenient that, save myself and one other,  all of his less civilized single friends didn't make the cut. Ah, the married life!

I am completely jazzed about the whole thing though. She is making muffaletta sandwiches and Hurricanes. She is bringing in Zapps chips, Abita beer, and, most importantly, a king cake ( with plastic babies). For those of you who don't know what a king cake is just imagine a huge cinnamon roll with bright icing on the top. As you're delighting in the delectable danish derivative chance may have it that you gnaw into a plastic baby doll. This is told to bring luck and prosperity in the coming year. That is what Mardi Gras is all about after all, having a party and living it up before Ash Wednesday can come along to make you repent it all away.

This should be a pretty good one though and I look forward to the upcoming festivities. Technically I have a few more days before I have to get serious about Lent ( I will touch base on this Wednesday if you are confused).  Right now... I am going golfing. I just hope that I don't beat these guys so bad that they want to give golf up for forty days! Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment